HACCP?” It is critical that the food safety
community invest in enhanced communication and education programs and “
user-friendly” tools so companies and national
governments can readily reap the advantages of these new approaches and efforts
to harmonize regulatory policies so they
can be consistent with a risk analysis approach to managing food safety hazards.
The future of risk analysis approaches to
food safety is bright, but only if we nurture its growth. n
1. Codex Alimentarius Commission. 2007. Working Principles for Risk Analysis for Food Safety for
Application by Governments. (CAC/GL 62-2007).
2. Codex Alimentarius Commission. 2007. Working Principles for Risk Analysis Application in the
Framework of the Codex Alimentarius. (CAC/GL 62-2007).
3. Codex Alimentarius Commission. 1999. Principles and Guidelines for the Conduct of Microbiological Risk Assessments. (CAC/GL 30-1999).
4. Codex Alimentarius Commission. 2007. Principles and Guidelines for the Conduct of Microbiological Risk Management (MRM). (CAC/GL 63-2007).
5. International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods. 2002. Microorganisms in
Foods 7: Microbiological Testing in Food Safety Management. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers: New York.
Robert L. Buchanan, Ph.D., Director of the University of Maryland’s Center for Food Safety
and Security Systems, received his B.S., M.S., M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in Food Science
from Rutgers University and post-doctoral training in mycotoxicology at the University of
Georgia. Since then he has 30+ years experience teaching, conducting research in food
safety and working at the interface between science and public health policy, first in academia, then in government service in both USDA and FDA and, most recently, at the University
of Maryland. His scientific interests are diverse, and include extensive experience in predic-tive microbiology, quantitative microbial risk assessment, microbial physiology, mycotoxicology and HACCP systems. He has published widely on a range of subjects related to food
safety and is one of the co-developers of the widely used USDA Pathogen Modeling Program. Dr. Buchanan has served on numerous national and international advisory bodies including as a member of the International Commission on Microbiological Specification for
Foods, as a six-term member of the National Advisory Committee for Microbiological Criteria
for Foods and as the U.S. Delegate to the Codex Alimentarius Committee on Food Hygiene
for a decade.
6. Codex Alimentarius Commission. 2008.
Code of Hygienic Practice for Powdered For-mulae for Infants and Young Children.
7. Codex Alimentarius Commision. 2007.
Guidelines on the Application of General Principles of Food Hygiene to the Control of
Listeria monocytogenes in Foods. (CAC/GL
8. Buchanan, R. L. 2010. “Bridging Consumers’ Right to Know and Food Safety Regulations Based on Risk Assessment.” In Risk
Assessment of Foods, C.-H. Lee, ed. KAST
Press: Korea; pp. 225-234.
R-Biopharm Vitamin Analysis
Solutions for your Vitamin Analysis
ELISA, Microtiter Plate Tests
RIDASCREEN®FAS T Vitamin B12
RIDASCREEN®FAS T Folsäure (Folic Acid)
Microbiological Microtiter Plate Tests
870 Vossbrink Drive
Washington, MO 63090 USA
Phone: (877) 789-3033
Fax: (866) 922-5856
An der neuen Bergstraße 17, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 61 51 - 81 02-0
Fax: +49 (0) 61 51 - 81 02-40
DECEMBER 2010 n JANUARY 2011 09-2010 Anzeige Food Savety - Vi1 1