Safe Quality Food (SQF) edition 8 is a recently updated version of the SQF Code that meets the benchmarking requirements laid out
in the latest Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) guidance document
(v. 7.1, published April 27, 2017). Keeping in line with the transition
to new GFSI requirements, some significant changes in the SQF Food
Safety Code for Manufacturing have been made.
Significant Changes in Part A – Implementing & Maintaining the
SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing
• Part A of the SQF Code for Food Manufacturing applies only to
human food, pet food, and animal feed manufacturing.
• All major and minor nonconformances must be corrected within
• Voluntary, unannounced audits are now recognized on the certificate.
• Withdrawn sites are required to wait 12 months before reapplying
• A surveillance audit following suspension is now termed an on-site audit and is unannounced.
Significant Changes in the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufac-
• Senior management must take responsibility for training and
communication, and have, at a minimum, monthly follow-up
meetings with the SQF practitioner on matters of food safety and
• The Codex Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points Plan requirements are more detailed and require applicable regulatory
controls essential for the country of manufacture and the country
of destination, if known.
• Wider environmental monitoring controls are required for manufacturing sites based on risk, except for storage and distribution
• Robust approved-supplier programs are required with added provisions on supplier verifications.
• Added clarity on sections for managing allergens, training personnel, and labeling requirements.
Significant Changes in Module 11 – GMPs for Food Processing
• Design of conveyance systems that carry steam or water (e.g.,
ducting, pipes) must prevent contamination of food, ingredients,
and food contact surfaces.
• Specifications for equipment, utensils, and protective clothing
must be documented.
• Provisions for temporary repairs must be included in the cleaning
program. There must be a plan in place for permanent repairs.
• Modifications to clean-in-place equipment require revalidation of
• Compressed air or other gases that contact food or food contact
surfaces must be clean and present no risk to food safety.
• An effective storage plan for safe, hygienic storage of all raw ma-
How to Prepare for SQF Certification
terials, ingredients, packaging, equip-
ment, and chemicals is now required.
Although SQF edition 8 took effect
on January 2, 2018, here are the steps to
follow to be prepared:
1. Download the following documents
from the SQFI website (http://www.
• The applicable versions of the SQF
edition 8 Code
• The applicable versions of the SQF
edition 8 Code: summary of
• The applicable SQF edition 8 guid-
ance documents and checklists
2. Train your entire staff in the relevant
SQF Code and allocate an SQF practitioner. You may also consider attending SQF conferences and webinars, or
getting guidance from SQF consultants
and food safety experts.
3. Identify and document the gaps in
your food safety and quality programs
using the updated checklist and work
toward documentation and on-site
4. Conduct a self-audit or schedule a
preassessment audit by registering in
the SQFI assessment database.
5. Book your certification audit at least
3–4 months before you want the audit to take place to allow for delays in
the process (assuming that your facility’s existing SQF certification will still
How Can Remco Products Help You?
Remco Products Corporation, your
partners in hygiene, has been serving
clients in the food and beverage sector
for over 30 years. Remco provides exceptional material handling and cleaning
supplies that are used in food processing
sanitation programs and industrial cleaning applications where hygiene and safety requirements are critical.
Remco can help you comply with SQF
edition 8 certification requirements:
• Download our white papers and read
our articles at the Remco Knowledge
Center at remcoproducts.com/
• Browse through our Remco Products
categories at products.remcoproducts.
• If you require any technical assistance
and additional information about our
products and services, kindly contact
us at email@example.com.
Significant Changes to the
SQF Edition 8 Code