detailed answers to these questions,
but we do know that the company appeared to erroneously rely on testing of
finished product as a confirmation of
food safety. As a result of this approach,
public health was put at risk, and both
the manufacturer of the whey powder
and several end-user companies have
suffered economic and reputational
harm as a result of having to recall their
products from the marketplace. n
Larry Keener, CFS, PCQI, is the principal of International Product Safety Consultants Inc., based in Seattle.
Geoffrey Smithers, Ph.D., is founder and principal
of a dairy consulting business operating out of Melbourne, Australia ( www.geoffreysmithers.com).
2. Smithers, GW. 2008. Int Dairy J 18:695–704.
3. Smithers, GW. 2015. Int Dairy J 48: 2–14.
5. Flint, SH, et al. 1997. Biofouling 11:81–97.
6. Sharma, M and SK Anand. 2002. Food Contr
7. Pouliot, Y. 2008. Int Dairy J 18:735–740.
8. Houldsworth, DW. 1980. Int J Dairy Technol
9. Pérez, A, et al. 1994. J Food Process Eng
10. Van der Horst, HC, et al. 1995. J Membrane
11. Alkhatim, HS, et al. 1998. Desalination
12. Greiter, M, et al. 2002. J Membrane Sci
13. Román, A, et al. 2009. Desalination
14. Diblíková, L, et al. 2010. Desalination Water
15. Pan, K, et al. 2011. Desalination 267:217–221.
The refrigerated Foods Association
The Fall Symposium is an exciting three-day event that combines
expert speaker presentations, excellent plant tours and
great networking opportunities.
Highlights of this year’s Fall Symposium:
- Visit to Rutgers New Jersey Institute for Food, Nutrition, and Health
and Rutgers Food Innovation Center
- Tours of plants in the New Brunswick area
- Presentations on industry topics and a RFA Technical Forum
More information to come!
2019 fall symposium
New Brunswick, New Jersey
September 23 - 25, 2019
www.refrigeratedfoods.org | firstname.lastname@example.org | (678) 426-8175
20. Riemann, H. 1968. App Microbiol 16:1621–1622.
21. Adams, MR, and MO Moss. Food Microbiology (Cambridge: The Royal Society of Chemistry,
22. Ishikawa, K. Guide to Quality Control (Tokyo: JUSE, 1968).
23. Deming, WE. The New Economics: For Industry, Government, Education (Cambridge, MA: MIT