aid of new technologies and innovative
thinking. Both governmental bodies
and food companies around the globe
are examining the risks and developing
creative solutions to preserve a better
Wendy White, M.Sc., is the food safety project manager at the Enterprise Innovation Institute of Georgia
Institute of Technology. She is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Food Safety Magazine.
1. Taylor Swift, “End Game,” on Reputation, Big
Machine Records, 2017.
millennial-consumer/ - 7f964ec16c8f.
3. Joni Mitchell, “Big Yellow Taxi,” on Ladies of
the Canyon, Reprise Records, 1970.
8. Antinoro, L. 2008. “EN Rates 12 Common
Food Additives as Safe or Sorry Ingredients.”
Environ Nutr 31: 5.
9. Pérez-Díaz, IM and RF McFeeters.
2010. “Preservation of Acidified Cucumbers with
a Natural Preservative Combination of Fumaric
Acid and Allyl Isothiocyanate That Targets Lactic
Acid Bacteria and Yeasts.” J Food Sci 75: 4.
10. www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/about-our-food/our-food-your-questions/ burgers.html.
15. Taylor, R. 2019. “Bag Leakage: The Effect
of Disposable Carryout Bag Regulations on
Unregulated Bags.” J Environ Econ Manag
16. Williams, DL, et al. 2011. “Assessment of the
Potential for Cross Contamination of Food Prod-
ucts by Reusable Shopping Bags.” Food Prot Trends 31( 8):508–513.
20. Mitchell, P. 2003. “Europe Sees Sharp Decline in GMO Research.” Nature Biotechnol 21:468–469.
21. Shibata, M, et al. 2017. “Real-Space and Real-Time Dynamics of CRISPR-Cas9 Visualized by High-
Speed Atomic Force Microscopy.” Nature Communications 8:1430.