• H&S, to pick up on tips and techniques, as they have a lot
of experience in behavior-based approaches to drive com-
• Marketing, to help segment the workforce and develop
targeted food safety messaging, taking into account deep
culture, generations, job type, etc.
• HR, to help with developing and managing the continuing
professional development of each employee, the competency framework, and the various training and learning
• HR, which usually has access to dedicated software packages and tools, as opposed to battling your way through an
Excel spreadsheet when you can squeeze it in your busy
schedule. HR support is also valuable when designing an
effective reward system to reinforce desired food safety behaviors.
We need to do what we do better and smarter to optimize
the return on investment and efforts. As Benjamin Franklin said,
by failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. So, by getting the
antecedents right, we are setting the optimum conditions to get
things right the first time and be as efficient as possible.
This is a continuous improvement journey; as the conditions and antecedents adapt to changes in the business, the
toolbox provided in this article will be particularly useful. We
are here to support you. Over to you! n
Bertrand Emond, M.Sc., M.B.A., is head of membership & training, Campden BRI.
Julia Bradsher, Ph.D., M.B.A., is president and CEO, International Food Protection
Training Institute. Laura Nelson is vice president, food safety and global alliances,
1. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Survey of Root Cause of Recalls
3. Braksick, LW. Unlock Behavior, Unleash Profits, vol. 2 (McGraw-Hill.,
4. Hofstede, G. Culture’s Consequences – Comparing Values, Behaviors,
Institutions and Organizations Across Nations (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
5. Hemmerich, K, R Lewis. Fish Can’t See Water. How National Culture
Can Make or Break your Corporate Strategy (John Wiley & Sons, 2013).
6. Lewis, R. When Cultures Collide (Nicholas Brealey Publishing, 1996).
7. Meyer, E. The Culture Map (Perseus Books Group, 2014).
NEW! 2018 Exclusive
Food Safety Culture Collection
to download your copy today!
1-800-826-8302 • nelsonjameson.com
In the Food Industry,
No One is Immune to Allergen Concerns
Call or visit our website
for more information!
3M Allergen Test Kits
Our Foodsafe product line has been
developed specifically for all aspects
of the food service industry.
These safety knives have stainless steel
blades, can be steamed/cleaned and are
Penguin 900 Boxer 800
Swan 300 Fish 600 Penguin 400
foodsafe ad 3.375x4.875_Layout 1 7/21/15 9: 52 AM Page 1